Security while online
Security while online is a key issue that many may not be aware off.
where is the risk
Mainly while online shopping
Filling forms that ask for passwords
why be secure?
- phishing website card steal your credit card details and use them to defraud you.
- phishing websites can steal your bank details and use them to defraud you
- phishing websites can steal your email password and use it to send emails to your contacts hence defrauding them.
- please note that even documents can be stolen, hence you have to be very careful.
what is phishing?
According to wikipedia phishing is the attempt to obtain sensitive information such as usernames, passwords, and credit card details (and, indirectly, money), often for malicious reasons, by disguising as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication.
How do i get secure in a simple way?
- Never supply your passwords bank details and credit card details to websites that you do not know and trust.
- Even if you trust a website you must check that it is secure before supplying security details in their website.
How to know a website is secure
Websites that require personal and security details such as passwords, bank details and credit card details are supposed to have certificates.
The only way to be sure that a website is secure is by looking at the address bar and see if the padlock is locked or unlocked
If the padlock is open then you can only supply sensitive information at your own risk.